This oatmeal starts with the traditional base and uses summer cherries to make the perfect breakfast combination. It’s not overly sweet, but is a nice breakfast treat. I like to add PlantFusion protein powder to up the protein count for fullness!
I typically store them in an airtight container, but recently found these individual cups on amazon. I filled each cup with 1/2 cup oatmeal and was able to make 11 portions total. Basically, breakfast for 11 days is complete. What more could you want?!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Oatmeal
- Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- 2 Bananas overly ripe
- 4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese goat cheese or Greek Yogurt (goal = creaminess)
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder optional
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Cherries pitted; frozen or fresh
- 1 Cup Almonds slivered
- Add the 2 bananas, 4 cups water, and pinch of salt to a dutch oven or large pot. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes. The banana will serve as a sweetener. After it boils, mash the banana so it is blended well- you don’t want large pieces but no need to work too hard on this step.
- Turn off the heat, add the Mascarpone, other cheese, or greek yogurt and stir.
- Add in oatmeal, Stir well, and add all other ingredients.
- Mix well and store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. You can store this 3 months in the freezer.
- When you are ready to eat it from the refrigerator, add water or milk to 1 cup of the oatmeal and heat in the microwave for about 1 minute.