The ease of this dish makes it a perfect weeknight meal. Just start with the rice on the bottom of a prepared dutch oven or large pot with a lid. Add the seasonings, add the water, and mix well. Layer the mushrooms, carrots, and chicken. Put the lid on and it’s ready to bake for 1 hour! It is simple, delicious, and comforting! Don't let the ingredients list discourage you, it's mostly seasonings you may already have. If you don't, go ahead and add these seasonings to your shopping list. Buy them once and they'll last!
Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
- Dutch Oven
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 cutlets
- 1 tbs olive oil or nonstick spray for the pan
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ onion diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 oz feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your dutch oven or oven safe dish with 1 Tbs olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Start by adding the rice on the bottom. Note that jasmine rice and many others need to be rinsed first. Top the rice with ¼ cup of water.
- Add the onion, lemon, and all of the seasonings and mix well.
- Layer the mushrooms, carrots, and chicken.
- Put the lid on and it’s ready to bake for 1 hour or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the lemons so you don’t accidentally eat them!
- Top with ¼ cup or more, drained Kalamata olives and 8 ounces of crumbled feta cheese.
- Serve with a side salad!