I love recipes where I can just set it and forget it. My favorite recipes are those that are easy for people to prepare when they get home from a long day at work. As a full time employee, I totally understand the need for good, homemade meals that don't take up all the evening time! This, is one of those!
This hamburger steak recipe is one that you can put in the oven, let it roast for 40 minutes, and come back to a delicious meal. The onions and mushrooms cook right in with the beef and make the perfect complement to this fast weeknight dish!
What do I need to Make Hamburger Steak?
Traditionally, made on the stovetop, hamburger steak is a fast and comforting weeknight dish. By putting in the oven, I cut the prep time so you can set it and forget it! The texture is slightly different because the outside of the meat doesn't get the stovetop crunch that you may be used to. Once it is finished cooking, you can turn the broiler on high for about 4 minutes and get the top crunch back a little!
Onions and mushrooms
Onions and mushrooms add flavor to this meal. Traditionally, they would be served on hamburger steak with gravy (well int he south at least). I am not a gravy fan, so I kept the vegetables and added them in the dish so they are soft and delicious to eat with the hamburger meat.
I love the flavor that steak sauce gives to hamburger steak, so adding it in was a no brainer here. I find it more flavorful and less salty than traditional steak seasoning. Add more or less salt based on your tastes, and add the black pepper in for a nice balanced flavor pairing.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Cutting Board
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, white
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms usually 1 container
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the cast iron skillet. The easiest way to do this is to place it in the oven while it preheats.
- Slice1 onion.
- Spread onion evenly on the bottom of the prepared cast iron skillet.
- Spread mushrooms over the onion slices.
- Separate the 1 pound of ground beef into 4 patties. Place each patty on top of the onions and mushrooms.
- Top each ground beef patty with 1 tablespoon each of steak sauce. *
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper over the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.