I used to make smoothies every morning, but then oatmeal recipes like this original oatmeal recipe became a winter staple. Oatmeal is definitely a go to because of the ability to prep it all in one day and eat it all week long. I also love that the opportunities are endless! That is also true for smoothies. Once you create a base, you can add whatever you desire!
First, make sure you have a good blender. If not, the spinach and bananas end up lumpy and not at all desirable. There are a couple of options.
- Ninja- I had the original version of this blender for over 10 years and it never failed me. Until it did- but I felt like 10 years was legit and it only cost $99 at the time. It's gone up a bit, but it is very versatile!
- Nutribullet- I've never had a nutribullet, but it's been around a while and is popular! I like the cup idea for on the go.
- Vitamix- Of course, the mother of all blenders. I don't have one, but it's on my list of things to buy one day! There are a lot of options, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them! You can get cheaper/refurbished ones on the Vitamix website, but I'm just not there yet either.
Smoothie Base for 1 Smoothie
- 1 banana, frozen and peeled
2. 1 scoop of protein powder of choice (For Vegan, I like Plantfusion) Nonvegan, I like Collagen Peptides)
3. ½ cup to 1 cup milk of choice
4. 1 handful of Spinach
Smoothies have to be made the day of, but there are some options to make it a little easier in the morning rush.
Tips for a Better Smoothie
The absolute most important step for a creamy smoothie is to start with frozen fruit.
That way, you don't have to add ice! It's a game changer for sure.
Peel and freeze any bananas that may be reaching their expiration date. No need to waste them! That is really true for all fruit, but bananas are my go to for a creamy smoothie. Not a fan of bananas? Peel, dice, and freeze ripe avocados! I usually freeze spinach too and it works well!
What Type of Protein Powder do I Need?
Liquid is the easiest and usually tastiest option. If you have a good liquid protein shake option, like Premier Protein, it tastes even better to me! You'll just leave out the protein powder and the milk of choice. For Premier Protein, I like Vanilla, Chocolate, Cafe Latte, and Caramel the best. I wasn't a fan of strawberry and haven't tried the others. 20-30 grams of protein is usually a good rule of thumb to help keep you fuller longer, but of course, check with your own healthcare team if you have any questions!
Protein Powders can be more versatile and are also really good options. I started out with powders more. As a bonus, Collagen Peptides can help support skin collagen. Vital Proteins is my favorite brand and the unflavored kind is great to add into coffee.
My go to Vegan powder option is Plantfusion. I use the vanilla most often in oatmeal recipes, but also like the chocolate. I don't mix this powder with only water or milk to drink it like a protein shake- if it is mixed like that, it's really a little chalky tasting. I prefer to mix it into oatmeal or a smoothie. I like that it is vegan and doesn't cause bloating or nausea that some cow's milk protein powders can cause.
How to Meal Prep Smoothies for an Easier Morning Routine
- Grab some quart sized or gallon sized plastic sealable baggies.
- Wash, dry, and cut all fruit. Wash veggies if needed.
- Pack all ingredients for a single smoothie (except liquid ingredients) into the baggie and squeeze out any additional air before sealing.
- Place sealed bag in the freezer and grab it the next morning or whenever you are going to make it.
- When you are ready to make the smoothie, grab your prepared bag and put it in a blender. Add liquid ingredients and blend until smooth.
Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
- Blender A good blender is key to be able to blend the smoothie well. It's not fun with an old one.
- 1 large frozen banana peeled and frozen
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder of choice Plantfusion (vegan), Collagen peptide (nonvegan)
- ½ -1 cup milk of choice start with ½ and add more milk as needed. It should be super thick and creamy!
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and enjoy!