Snacks can be a great way to get in added nutrients and to prevent over eating at the next meal. If you find yourself starving each afternoon and overeating at dinner, consider adding a snack around 3:30 pm to help curb your afternoon appetite.
While snacking can be useful in a healthy diet, it is important to consider what you're snacking on.
Carbs help give us energy while protein and fat help keep us full. Alone, each of them may give us a boost for about 30 minutes, but when eaten together, they can make up a healthy snack that will result in fullness for hours.
When choosing a snack, start with a whole food source of carbohydrates. This could be a fruit, vegetable, or even a whole grain.
Add some protein and fat like a peanut or almond butter, string cheese, or a handful of cashews.
To better understand snacks and blood sugar control, check out my 1:1 counseling services.
Snack Ideas, gluten free with carb, protein, and fat:
- Greek Yogurt + 2 Tablespoons almonds
- 1 apple + 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 banana + 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- Almond flour crackers like Simple Mills, ½ avocado
- Crunchmaster crackers + string cheese + cucumbers
- ½ cup grapes + string cheese
- Celery + 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- Trail Mix from home: 2 Tablespoons peanuts, 1 Tablespoon raisins, 1 Tablespoon chocolate chips
- Carrots + 2 Tablespoons Hummus + tomatoes and cucumbers
- Tomato, cucumber salad
- Guacamole + 2 bell peppers, sliced
- Fruit + cottage cheese
- Tomato, spinach, pepper + ½ cup cottage cheese
- Smoothie with spinach, banana, and peanut butter
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Think about some of your favorite foods, what food group they are in, then combine them with another for a snack that you are sure to love!
For more ideas on healthy eating, be sure to check out these great salad ideas!