How to Make a Balanced Smoothie
- Add a carbohydrate source. Frozen fruit works well! Frozen bananas give a good creamy texture to help make the smoothie more like a milkshake.
- Add a protein source. Protein can be from a supplement like PlantFusion Protein Powder, Collagen Peptides, Premier Protein, or any other supplement you like. If you prefer to use whole food for proteins, I opt for Greek Yogurt options! Nuts are a great addition of protein and fat.
- Add a fat source. Chia seeds, nuts or seeds of any kind, flax meal, coconut butter or oil, and even peanut butter or almond butter. The fat options are endless and will help this smoothie have serious staying power!
Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie
- ½ cup hazelnuts shelled
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- 1 banana frozen
- 2 medjool dates pit removed
- 1 scoop protein powder vanilla or chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1-2 cups water depending on desired consistency
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
For sweetness, you'll want to add dates or frozen fruit to any smoothie. In this one, the bananas and dates balance out the cocoa powder to make this similar to a Nutella smoothie.
It does matter. I used a ninja for like 10 years with no problems at all so I definitely recommend it! I had an older version of this one, but more recently bought the refurbished version of this one and it works just fine!
You really can't go wrong with a Vitamix. I know- it's pricey, but it will last for ever!
For more smoothie recipes check out this Peanut Butter and Banana smoothie post and learn about more options!