Shredded chicken is great to have on hand for busy weeknights when you need options.
From chicken salad to chicken pot pie, storing pre cooked shredded chicken in the freezer opens up a world of possibilities in half the time.
What Can I Make With Shredded Chicken?
One of my favorite things to make is this Greek Chicken Pita. It is light, flavorful, and filling and is perfect for a summer night dinner!
- 1 large pot or dutch oven
- 3 pounds chicken breast usually 2-3 boneless, skinless breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken breasts, salt, and pepper in a large pot.
- Fill with about 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and let boil for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the chicken breasts do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After 20 minutes, internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.
- Drain water from chicken.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks to pull the chicken breasts apart and shred the meat. I love to use a mixer for this- it makes it way easier and faster!
- Once cooled, divide your shredded chicken into 3 separate containers. This can be used immediately, placed in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, or frozen for up to 3-6 months. When you are ready to use the chicken, simply pull it out and start making your favorite dish or soup!