My Friend Lauren recently got married and Anna and I were in charge of the lingerie shower and bachelorette party! I secretly love entertaining and figuring out what food items will be there! It’s a love hate relationship for 2 reasons: (1) good food for a crowd costs money and (2) I am a healthy foodie, so preparing “shower type” foods that can still be healthy is challenging! For the main food item, I knew I wanted to use fresh summer tomatoes on some type of sandwich and I also wanted to provide enough food for everyone without spending a fortune on groceries. I remembered BLT bites from Cindy and knew they would be perfect. To my surprise, they do not include Ranch dressing so I didn’t have to come up with a substitute!
Yields about 40 “bites”
2- 8oz package of cream cheese (I used 2x the protein)
1 lb. turkey bacon, cooked
½ cup chopped green onion stems
1 whole wheat baguette, cut into thin slices
1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
1 cup lettuce leaves
1. Prepare bacon per package instructions.
2. Using a skillet, toast both sides of each bread slice, about 2 minutes on each side.
3. In a food processor (Ninja works great!), chop the bacon and green onions together.
4. Using a mixer (or the mixing addition to the Ninja), blend the cream cheese with the bacon and green onions until well combined. I made this the day before and refrigerated it overnight to save time at the party.
5. Place a dime sized amount of the cream cheese mixture onto each toasted piece of bread, top with lettuce leaf, add another scoop (about ½ tablespoon) of cream cheese mixture onto the lettuce and top with 2 or 3 small slices of tomato.
6. Continue until all of the cream cheese mixture is used.
7. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge for a day.