This low carb version of Lasagna is made even better with the addition of goat cheese. Start with frozen grilled zucchini to cut the time in half and it easily becomes a weeknight dish!
There’s nothing quite like lasagna and this low carb version makes it the perfect dish for anyone. This isn’t a hard recipe but it does have a few steps so feel free to make it on the weekend and enjoy it during the week. It’s even better the next day so it’s perfect make ahead of time or for someone who just had a baby!
With summer coming, fresh zucchini is a great option. There are just a few extra steps. You'll want to make sure you grill the zucchini before using it to prevent excess water in the lasagna.
If you want a short cut, try Green Giant's Frozen, Grilled zucchini. You can use it straight from the package. If you do have any remaining water, just tilt the lasagna pan after cooking to remove excess water (carefully, of course!).
If you’re looking for a good dish, this Le Creuset one looks amazing! I don’t have but I love that the lid is a platter.
For a cheaper option, I have a white one from target.
For traveling dishes, I love stocking up on disposable options so no one has to worry about returning a dish!
Zucchini Lasagna with Goat Cheese
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 ounces
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 8 ounces Goat Cheese
- 1 whole beaten egg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 zucchini sliced (or 1 package frozen, grilled zucchini- see notes)
- 4 Tablespoons Dried Parsley separated to use 2 Tablespoons at a time
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 more teaspoon salt
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook 1 pound Ground Beef with 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley, 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil, and 1 Teaspoon Salt until it’s browned.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon garlic, stir to combine, and let simmer on stove top on low for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick or burn. You'll want it to be thick and not watery.
- Grab a separate, small bowl, add in the 8 ounces Goat Cheese, 1 beaten egg, and 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 2 Tablespoons Parsley and 1 more teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- **If using frozen grilled zucchini, skip the next two steps.While step 2 simmers for 30 minutes, slice zucchini about ¼ inch thick, sprinkle with a little salt to draw out some moisture.
- Using a grill pan, grill each side of zucchini over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Grab a small casserole dish, line the bottom with one layer of grilled zucchini.
- Top the bottom zucchini layer with one layer of the cheese mixture, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and about ½ the meat mixture. Repeat with more zucchini, cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and the rest of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese on top if you want!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.