If you saw the menu I emailed out this week, you may have noticed Lasagna Rolls…well they were really hard to “roll” so we left it at lasagna. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed though because it was simply delicious. JT was super pumped to know we were having lasagna until he found out I was using zucchini for the lasagna noodles. He was a skeptic… but, after eating it, he was a believer. Trust us on this one!
Side note- the cover photo is of JT and me enjoying a meal because, honestly, lasagna is hard to make picture worthy an my food photography has a long way to go! (Someone send help.) I guess when it comes to creating things, done is better than perfect- otherwise, I may never start!
Zucchini Lasagna with Goat Cheese
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 ounces
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 8 ounces Goat Cheese
- 1 whole beaten egg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 zucchini sliced (or 1 package frozen, grilled zucchini- see notes)
- 4 Tablespoons Dried Parsley separated to use 2 Tablespoons at a time
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 more teaspoon salt
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook 1 pound Ground Beef with 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley, 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil, and 1 Teaspoon Salt until it’s browned.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon garlic, stir to combine, and let simmer on stove top on low for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick or burn. You'll want it to be thick and not watery.
- Grab a separate, small bowl, add in the 8 ounces Goat Cheese, 1 beaten egg, and 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 2 Tablespoons Parsley and 1 more teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- **If using frozen grilled zucchini, skip the next two steps.While step 2 simmers for 30 minutes, slice zucchini about ¼ inch thick, sprinkle with a little salt to draw out some moisture.
- Using a grill pan, grill each side of zucchini over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Grab a small casserole dish, line the bottom with one layer of grilled zucchini.
- Top the bottom zucchini layer with one layer of the cheese mixture, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and about ½ the meat mixture. Repeat with more zucchini, cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and the rest of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese on top if you want!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.